Today we did a lesson using band aids as a way to talk about fair.
I asked the students to think about a time they got hurt, such as a scrape, bump or even a broken arm. Each student had a chance to tell the class about his/her injury. After hearing their story, I gave each student a band aid and placed it on the back of his/her hand. At first, they thought this was great! After I had given out half of the band aids, the kids started to question why I was putting it on his/her hand even though the injury might have been on the knee or elbow. Some students couldn't think of an injury, but they got a band aid anyway.
Once everyone had a band aid, I asked if everyone had a band aid. They replied yes! I asked if it was/would help their injury. Some students thought yes, but a few said not really. One student said her scrape was much bigger than the band aid and another said a band aid doesn't really help a sprained ankle at all.
I asked the students to think about a time they got hurt, such as a scrape, bump or even a broken arm. Each student had a chance to tell the class about his/her injury. After hearing their story, I gave each student a band aid and placed it on the back of his/her hand. At first, they thought this was great! After I had given out half of the band aids, the kids started to question why I was putting it on his/her hand even though the injury might have been on the knee or elbow. Some students couldn't think of an injury, but they got a band aid anyway.
Once everyone had a band aid, I asked if everyone had a band aid. They replied yes! I asked if it was/would help their injury. Some students thought yes, but a few said not really. One student said her scrape was much bigger than the band aid and another said a band aid doesn't really help a sprained ankle at all.
Then we talked about fair and equal. Yes, it was equal that everyone had a band aid and it was in the same spot, but it wasn't what some students needed at all or helpful. We talked about how this is like our classroom. Students will get what they need to be successful, it may not be exactly equal. Yes, there are times it will be equal such as with a treat like a sticker or snack. There will be other times that some students will get more time, more/less work etc. because it is what they need to learn. It could also mean students get a special spot to work and others work at their desk, As a teacher, it does not mean I like one student more/less than another, I am trying to help all students learn and be successful.
Fair is not everyone getting the same thing. Fair is everyone getting what they need.


No comments:
Post a Comment